Thursday, October 22, 2020

Sky, Wind and Stars

(Image source- Jack Jung twitter 10.21.20) Prelude poem, Poet Yun Dong-ju.

To my dying day I will look to heaven,
without a hint of shame,
Even tho' the leaves in the wind,
Tormented me.

With a heart singing of stars,
All things destined to die,
I must love,
This is the way I must walk
The path provided.

Tonight too, the wind brushes the stars


Poetry is above all a personal interpretation. I envy Mr. Jung who as young man can devote himself to his work translating. For me it is a pastime in my old age. This is my personal interpretation (corrected for an error)* of the original he was so kind to as to publish on twitter.

* Note: Edited 01/10/22 to reflect proper translation of the verb "look up to heaven," or "before heaven" which is an idiomatic expression meaning in the context of having nothing to be ashamed of before God. Professor Peterson did a program on this poem Prelude, and Yun Dong-ju, the author, on his youtube video 우물 밖의 개구리 The Frog Outside the Well on January 9. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OCZILe8rfs. The verb I stumbled on was 우러러 in the first line.

No comments:

Post a Comment