Wednesday, August 12, 2020

비 내리는 고모령 Rainy Gomoryeong

Looking back to the time I let go mother's hand
The owl cried and I cried too,
I long for the evening we crossed over the mountain ridges
with fallen leaves flying about.

How many years was it, I picked the amaranth blooming
Behind the water mill, enraptured?
How could I ever forget, the forget-me-not's pledge?
When will the falling rain cross Gomo pass?

Tears of childhood life, how many hills were there?
Among lanterns closely hung in the Tavern house,
Writing these sentimental notes to myself,
This evening yet, the night sings the homesick song


작사 유호 Lyrics Ryu Ho
작곡 박시춘 Music Park Si-choon
노래 현인 Original artist Hyun Ryin

Multiple artists have recorded this song since Hyun Ryin's original. It's theme is about the lingering nostalgia for the life before coming of age and leaving the family home town ( 고 향 ) in the country. As usual, this interpretation of the lyrics is subjective. A literal translation is difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment